Friday, August 3, 2012

Makin' Booze. Why Else Would We Grow Muscadines?

When we planted our grapes and muscadines two years ago, we dreamed of making our own wine.  Yeah! I do believe it is time to do that!  We probably could have done it last year, I believe we had enough, but I was quite pregnant and didn't feel like making wine at the time.

We have four grape vines, 2 of which are muscadines, one is white grapes, and the other had no label so we're not really sure.  They are starting to ripen and B picks a handful every day and puts them in the fridge.



These vines are right outside our front door.  And a bit too high for me to be able to reach.



Ah, yep, that's the sunrise, and my Power T bird feeder, actually I believe it's a wasp nest condo right now.  Oops.

They are coming in slowly, but I just found out that you CAN freeze them until you are ready to make wine.



Neither one of us has made wine before, so this is all new.  I should probably check out a book from the library.  I'm not really sure where to start.  I don't think it's that hard.  My mom has a lot of experience, she's even had an explosion in her kitchen, so maybe she can tell us what NOT to do, haha.   I know a quick google search for wine making kit led me to Amazon, my favorite shopping place.
......and the kits aren't cheap and I should definitely get a book.  Wish us luck!

      

2 comments:

  1. You will do fine. Not much to making wine once you read a good recipe for your muscadines to turn to wine, it all becomes just a waiting process for the fruit to ferment into alcohol. Fine as Wine, The older it gets the better it taste.

    ReplyDelete