Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Kefir [kuh feer]

So what's all this kefir hype? I want some.

I make and love yogurt, so I want to make and love kefir.  Wait, what is it?

Kefir, technically pronounced kuh feer, not like Keifer.  So why don't they just spell it kuhfeer?  Whatever.  Kefir is a cultured milk product, it contains good bacteria and yeasts, is chock full of vitamins and probiotics.  You need a starter, called grains, which isn't too hard to come by these days.  I got hooked up with some grains, brought them home and googled what next.

EASY

Take your grains, put them in a glass jar, fill 3/4 of the way with milk, put a lid on it, let sit for at least 24 hours, remove grains. Done.

Now you have more grains, and kefir.  Drink and enjoy.

The kefir grains given to me

here they are, kinda like cauliflower

now let it sit for a day

24 hours later, floating grains
the kefir and new grains 

new pile of grains
Well, final verdict? 

Have you ever drank milk you left sitting out all night and the next day? Me neither.  What about milk that had something floating in it that grew, did you want to drink that? Yeah, exactly.  I don't want to drink it.  I forced myself to sip it. And....it IS kinda gross. Maybe if it's cold, it won't be so bad.  So it's sitting in the fridge, waiting.  I'm not going to lie, I don't want to drink it.  I want to want to, but it's kinda gross.  Kombucha - I can handle because it's tea.  I mean this is milk.  It reminded me of buttermilk, which I love for cooking but I don't want to drink it. I don't even drink eggnog.  I can probably use it in smoothies.  I'll do that.  And maybe I'll acquire a taste for it.  So if anyone wants any kefir grains, just let me know.  gag.

10 comments:

  1. Barry makes and drinks kefir. He puts it in smoothies with fresh fruit.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's probably the ONLY way I can drink it, I need fresh fruit or berries now

      Delete
  2. I would rather eat dog mess. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it will improve my health or extend my life on this wonderful Earth, I'll try it and make myself like it!
    - ur hubby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a jar in the fridge with your name on it!

      Delete
  4. Mother of God!!!! What have you done.... Its aliveeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting! Don't think I could drink it either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love kefir, but have never drank homemade.. Only the Organic, flavored kind found in some stores...

    ReplyDelete