Sunday, August 19, 2012

Fruit Leather. Take 2

Since the fig leather was only a partial success, I thought I'd give it another go.  Plus I got some of the paraflexx tray liners for the dehydrator to avoid any paper-eating scenarios.

We have an old sand pear tree on our property that the birds and squirrels have been enjoying for some time.  The pears are huge, but hard, and well....sandy in texture.  I've been told they're good "canning" pears.  Probably cause they aren't fun to eat.

I have to say, the funnest part was taking a long pvc pipe down to the tree and swinging at the branches like a pinata.

We have 2 intentions with this fruit loot.  1. fruit leathers, 2. WINE

3 large grocery sack fulls of pears
putting B to work coring

I believe sitting on the front porch with the dogs, cutting pears is a wonderful way to spend the afternoon
I think this should be enough for dehydrating
I just lightly boiled these for about 4-5 minutes
after pureeing, I just poured and spread onto the paraflexx tray liners
this is exactly what it looks like in the dehydrator manual
Ok, well, did I mention that I have "misadventures?" Sometimes things don't go as smoothly as anticipated.  It was time for bed and I checked the leathers.  Starting to get crispy on the outside and bubbling and cracking in the inside.  Seriously?

cracks and bubbles....whatever
I didn't want to leave the dehydrator running all night, I was afraid the leathers would be hard as a rock in the morning, so I took them out and put them in the refrigerator.


And then...I pull them out of the fridge in the morning and of course, stuck to each other.  I have to laugh, right?

I sprinkled coconut flakes on this tray. 
dirty dishes, yep, always a mess
 Ok, so the NEXT afternoon, here we go.  Holey fruit roll-ups?


 Wait, I think they're swiss fruit roll ups.



And they didn't so much as roll as they just folded awkwardly.  So I made holey fruit fold-ups.  Yep, just like the store bought kind. The whole point was to make a high calorie, quick easy snack to grab, and I did.  Therefore, this is a success story. With lots of laughs.


Oh, I forgot, I did add about a teaspoon of sugar per cup of fruit, and some sprinkles of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon, or coconut flakes for some extra flavor. 

Final verdict:
B says they taste like they came from the back yard.  I'm not sure how to take that.  I'll probably do it again.  Maybe not with the pears.  I'll save them for wine, or maybe I will learn how to can and save them for pear cobbler.  

You know what?  I don't even like pears.




3 comments:

  1. I don't like them either.....all pears taste like sand to me....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love pears I would grab one on the go. I like pears as a Pear Butter like Apple Butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. Yes. Laugh. Laugh a lot. ;)

    ReplyDelete