Monday, July 23, 2012

Palletable Ideas

Anybody who has been on Pinterest has seen some repurposed pallet projects.  There are some beautiful and crafty ways to reuse this free wood.  Of course I thought we needed some stuff made from pallets. Where do you get pallets?  They're everywhere. Once you decide you want some pallets, you start seeing them all over.  There are a lot of nurseries and warehouses around us, so I eyeballed stacks of pallets quickly.  I was trying to figure out how to go talk to people to ask them if we could have some of their old pallets, when B started bringing some home.


I may have mentioned this already, but it is so true.  Anything that is free, or saves you money seems to require a time investment.  Taking apart pallets isn't quick or easy.

The first pallet project was a piece of cake.  Prop the pallet up. Done.  We have so many shoes that we roam around the yard in and do not wear in the house.  We had shoes all over the place and now, they have a place!  Love it.



We made some furniture for baby O's farm themed room and I love them so much.  We started with a book shelf, then B made a small end table.  The grandest project was her door.  The door to her room is an unusual width, so just any door wouldn't fit, it was going to have to be a custom job.  Since we sent with a farm them, it only seemed appropriate to have a barn door. At first I was going to get some actual barn wood from my dad. He has a little bit from actually taking down a barn. It seems I always forgot to measure before we went to visit. After seeing all the pallet projects online, the wood looks a lot like barn wood. We decided we could use pallets to build her door. Not only did I want a barn door, but I wanted it to be a sliding door. It kind of needed to be because it would be such a big door to swing open.
Little table next to the changing table, B whipped up fairly quickly one afternoon



This picture of her bookshelves was taken before she even got here.  There's a lot more books now and a bit of touch up on the paint, and some curtains....but you get the point. Just look at the shelves.


We started working on O's room when I was pregnant.  We took the Bradley Method pregnancy and birth classes.  It is a 12 week course that focuses on consumer education, healthy mom, baby and family, teaching the husband to be a birth coach and have a natural unmedicated birth. Bradley Birth if you're interested.  I found it to be very helpful, plus we had an amazing instructor.  Oh, but I missed the last class - I was giving birth.  The reason I bring up the class is because we met some really great people in there and still keep in touch with some of them.  The instructor held the classes in her newly constructed home and SHE had a sliding door.  Well B and one of his new buddies studied it and tried to figure out the hardware and how to do it at our house.  His new friend told us he had a friend who welded and could hook us up with the hardware.  GREAT! Before the class series was over he had brought us our hardware for a sliding barn door.

We still didn't have a door at this time, I guess we were waiting on the hardware. B broke down some good looking pallets and sonstructed a door. He also sanded and sealed it. It looks beautiful! It's perfect. Now here comes the fun part - hanging the door onto the hardware. We finally get it put up only to discover another issue. It's so heavy that the rod it slides on sags. Oh and our floors aren't level. There's still some work to go, but it is a functional door now.
Isn't the wood beautiful!




oops, dragging a bit on the floor, we'll figure something out
A friend came over yesterday and grabbed a pallet to make some boxes. I think they turned out beautifully! The jars are fig preserves she made. They're pretty also!



We have this big pile of pallets and a bunch of ideas. I have a file saved full of pictures that I keep showing to hubby saying, "I want this, can you build us this?" I think I need to get out there and start breaking them down. It's just kinda hard to do with a baby in tow. I really would like to do some patio, er porch furniture, seeing as how it's one of our favorite places to be. I could make us some cushions and pillows....I would even like to use them to build some more raised garden planters.

Unfortunately I was just given some information about potential toxins in pallet wood. UUUUggggghh. You try to do something good and then turns out it's not so good after all. Oh well, I'm not scared. I'll try to keep baby from chewing on her door. And there's probably scarier things in a Chick-fil-a sandwich. Yeah, if you want to know, check this out Chick-fil-a or Chemical-fil-a. Is there crap in everything? I guess you just try to do the best you can. Hopefully we aren't contaminating our compost.

This is our 3-bin compost set up. We had to cover the top because the chickens kept getting inside.


 So if anybody had any great ideas they'd like to share, I'd love to hear them.  As you can see, we have the pallets to make it happen.  When I first decided I'd blog about repurposing pallets I thought I'd have a bunch of projects to show off.  Turns out most of them were still in my head. I really would like to make a headboard out of them, but I'm now hesitant to rest my head next to wood that could have a slew of chemicals in it (wait - do you know what's in your mattress? a slew of chemicals! makes me want to scream).

I'd like to end on a good note, not a negative one. I have observed something wonderful in life.  The universe hears you and responds.  When I decided I wanted pallets, pallets were every where and B started hauling them home.  Earlier this weekend I noted that I wanted to write about yogurt making, that very same day my BFF gave me a yogurt maker.  When you decide what it is you want to appear in your life, make it known.  Write about it, pray about it, meditate on it, tell your friends about it, think about it...and it will appear.  Oh that makes me think of this video:  Garden of your mind  WATCH IT!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE the barn door!! It's beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I would like to hear more ideas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to make that tv stand I've been yapping about.. We should have a pallet breaking down party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of a break-down party! I also need a shelf or something to put our receiver and dvd player on.

      Delete
  4. Love the furniture and all the neat ideas, I have seen a stand up garden made from one, will have to see if I can find it and send you the link, then your garden or flowers can stand up against something, similar to how your shows are leaning up against the house.
    As far as the pallets go, yes, they can get exposed to chemicals and such and more importantly they can get infested with insects. You could try using the Thieves Household Cleaner on them, I would actually soak the pallets or wood pieces in a solution of THC to help with fight any bacteria and hopefully repel the insects. I have seen someone who had a piece of furniture, that appeared to be petrified, only to have beetles hatch from it many years later. You could also add a few drops of Young Living's Patchouli to help repel insects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tips! I'll be treating with Thieves for sure.

      Delete