Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Granola

While trying to photograph my granola ingredients, I had a casualty. I guess no chia seeds in this batch. I think it was a sign to sweep, or that I should have already swept.





My Mimi's granola recipe:
Ingredients:
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds 
1/4 honey (search for local - I got mine from Mae Grace Farm)
1/4 cup oil Nutiva 42614 Organic Coconut Oil (you can probably use any kind of oil you have on hand, but I'm addicted to coconut oil these days)
1/2 cup cold water
1/2-1 cup almonds, whole or sliced 

Of course you can add or leave out any of the ingredients, I didn't have sesame seeds so I used flax seed instead Bobs Red Mill 37014 Organic Golden Flaxseed, you can also add pumpkin seedsPumpkorn 27872 Organic Original Pumpkin Seeds

Directions:
Combine all of the dry ingredients in large bowl and mix
Combine honey and oil in small bowl and mix
Mix honey and oil into large bowl and stir until well combined
Add cold water a little at a time and mix until crumbly

Pour mixture into large shallow pan with sides, slightly oiled. (I used to use Pam, but now I use coconut oil)
Bake at 200-225 for 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes (mine gets done a bit too soon at 225)
Add almonds bake for 30 minutes more or until golden brown and crisp
Turn off oven and allow to cool
Add raisins
Store in covered container in fridge

I'm not sure the shelf life, I've never had any around long enough to stale.

My most favorite breakfast is granola, yogurt and fruit or berries. MMMmmmmmm.
Second favorite would be fresh bacon, eggs, and homemade biscuits, or corned-beef hash with fried potatoes and biscuits, or maybe french toast......where was I? Oh yeah yogurt and granola.

I'm not exactly sure if I want to figure out how much all of this cost, but I only had to buy oats, shredded coconut, raisins, and sunflower seeds, the rest I already had in my pantry.  Ideally we are saving money with me making this, because a box of organic granola is pretty expensive and only lasts us a few days once it's open.  We shall see if this pays off.  I'll going to try to figure out how to make granola bars out of this soon.


5 comments:

  1. We need a pic of the finished product. Yummy!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good and so much better than the stuff I buy! I am totally going to steal this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! You know you can add any nuts or seeds you want, like peanuts. If we don't have yogurt we eat it with milk like cereal.

      Delete