Friday, July 20, 2012

Deodorant. It's not for you, it's for other people.

I'm not sure when I stopped using conventional antiperspirant, I think it was in college, it was before I knew it was linked to Alzheimer's Disease and breast cancer. I just had the mentality that your body is supposed to sweat, so preventing it from doing so can't be healthy. I still swiped a stick under my arms regularly, I just bought deodorants instead of antiperspirants. Later, as I learned of the toxins I knew I was going to continue to stay away.

I tried that Burt's Bees spray stuff for awhile, meh, it was ok. It smelled good, but I think it stained my shirts. Sure I used Tom's, the crystal stick, the scented salty water spray, and of course my favorite- nothing.

The only problem with a "natural" deodorant, or none, is obviously, the smell. I guess the pit stains too. But I don't want to rub a stick in my pits and, well my BO rarely offends me. But as I was once told "Deodorant isn't for you, it's for other people." (thanks for reminding me of that story Ash)

Now I know for a fact I'm not the only one who smells my own stinky pits, and then tries to get someone else to smell it too. And then you keep smelling, for what reason, I don't know. Freaks.

So what to do? I decided to make my own. I found this recipe/directions and it seemed like the one for me.

Not a Secret Homemade Deodorant
1-1/2 Tbsp grated beeswax or beeswax beads
4 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp shea butter
4 tsp clay (bentonite or other)
20-25 drops essential oil (tea tree, rosemary, lavender, lemon, bergamot, or a mixture of any listed)
Empty, clean, sterilized deodorant container
Melt the beeswax and coconut oil on very low heat, whisking often. Once melted, add in the shea butter and whisk a few times, then remove from the heat and continue melting. After that’s melted and you have a liquid, sprinkle in the clay and continue to whisk well until everything is combined. Drop in the essential oil, whisking still. Place the pan into a cool water bath, and leave for 5 minutes or until it just begins to set up. Spoon the mixture into your deodorant container and place it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes (or until completely hard). If, for some reason, it starts to get too soft on a hot day, just put it back in the freezer for a while.
From: www.crunchybetty.com
There is a ton of awesome stuff on her site, but don't go over there and fall in love with her and forget about me. Ok?

The bentonite clay I used is green, oops.  But it doesn't leave green marks I promise.  I do believe the clay comes in white.  Bentonite clay is also good to make a facial mask to pull out blackheads, just mix with apple cider vinegar, I also add a few drops of patchouli because it's super good for your skin.  Do that weekly and you WILL see a difference in your pores.  Maybe more info on this later.

Well I got the supplies and carried around the directions for at least a month. Till one day my friend Melissa called me up and said, let's make deodorant next week. We set a date and finally did it.


I get most of my supplies from http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/ and my essential oils are Young Living (I'm a distributor so I get those directly, p.s. contact me if you want to know more about those.  I'm going to do a blog about them soon).  I saved an old deodorant tube, apparently for this purpose.

deodorant is complete, the recipe filled the tube perfectly
I keep mine in the fridge, next to my homemade lotion that I forget to get before I get in the shower, so I've put it on 2 of 4 days this week. I just put some on a little bit ago. Mostly because I gave baby O a bath tonight and I'm about to go snuggle up with her and I don't want her head to smell like an armpit. You know what? She probably doesn't hate my stinky pits, or maybe it's just cause she doesn't know any differently, then again it could be because she can't talk yet. Ha! Well I'm working on my arm pit hygeine if anybody cares. I'm pretty sure at least my hubby does. I just forced him to smell, for feedback of course. He said no, but I pressured him till he obliged. Now he says they don't smell like anything. So that's good, right?


It rolls out just like the store-bought stuff.


Ok, so that is my latest attempt at being more "crunchy" or whatever you want to call it.  I think the word hippie turned to granola and now is crunchy.  Urban Dictionary gives us:

crunchy


Adjective. Used to describe persons who have adjusted or altered their lifestyle for environmental reasons. Crunchy persons tend to be politically strongly left-leaning and may be additionally but not exclusively categorized as vegetarians, vegans, eco-tarians, conservationists, environmentalists, neo-hippies, tree huggers, nature enthusiasts, etc. 
Thanks everybody for reading about personal information.  I asked Melissa for permission to use her name, Ashley's (Ash) name will probably pop up in this blog a lot, I didn't ask her.  I'm just gonna do it and deal with her later. xoxo.  Again, please follow me via email and comment on this page.  If you are having any difficulties doing so let me know and I'll try to figure it out.  I promise I won't always beg for your attention and affection, but just for a little while to get this thing up and running.  Have a great day!

UPDATE!  It's best if you keep this in the refrigerator, otherwise it gets a bit gooey and seriously leaves green shtuff in your pits, also I think I'm going to apply 2x daily.  Once in the morning and once in the afternoon.  Have you ever rubbed cold deodorant in your pits?  Feels kinda good. 

9 comments:

  1. I love you man. Use my name all you want!!!
    You're an inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig it! Great job with the blog. I forwarded it Jo. I'm excited to keep up. We found a great recipe for natural bug spray, i'll send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it! Thanks, we need it around here.

      Delete
  3. I am really enjoying these blogs. Love the recipe never even thought of making it myself. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog very inspiring and informative. I look forward to seeing more creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been tinkering with some homemade deodorant but this one seems way better! Thanks especially for letting us know where to get the ingredients. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your title, enjoyed your blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the deodorant. My deodorant is 10 drops of lemon oil and 10 of tea tree. It smells really fresh. I leave my deodorant in my top drawer in the bathroom- 78 degrees. I breath hot air on it to apply- i like it soft for application. I only apply once per day and seems to last all day.

    Most importantly- I don't feel like I'm risking cancer every morning. Thanks Bekah for saving me;) Plus it was so nice to visit with you!!!:) I can learn so much from you! Keep posting! :)

    ReplyDelete